The good news is that most people do not have severe reactions to bee or wasp strings and are not severely allergic to their venom. Hornets are a subspecies of wasp, so their stings should be treated as wasp stings. Bee stings and wasp stings are different chemically, and though it’s possible to be allergic to both, it’s rare.
A sting, or a few stings, sustained by most people will be painful, but will heal within a few weeks. Death resulting from a bee or wasp string is uncommon. As for the unlucky people who have a severe bee or wasp allergy, reactions can range from redness and swelling confined to the source of the sting, all the way to severe anaphylaxis.
Approximately 50 people in the U.S. are killed by bee stings or wasp stings each year. The likelihood of death increases with the number of stings sustained, though for a normal person with no severe reaction, it would take over a thousand stings to inject enough venom to kill. Usually it’s the swelling or other defensive reactions your body takes against the sting that are deadly. So any number of stings can be lethal if left untreated.
Most deaths caused by bee or wasp stings occur within an hour of being stung, so if you suspect you’re reacting badly to a sting, it’s crucial you call for help and get medical treatment immediately.
If you spot a bee or wasp nest in your yard, do not go near it and do not attempt to remove it. Bees and wasps sting if threatened. If you’re unsure whether or not you have a bee or wasp allergy, be especially careful.
Magical Pest Control is a professional pest removal company that is experienced in killing bees, wasps and hornets safely, without risk to you or our technicians. Call us at (905) 738-6676 or contact us online for more information. We do free consultations.